Have you considered studying abroad, but are not sure whether it’s worth your time? If you ask anybody who has studied abroad, he or she will most certainly tell you that it is a life-changing experience and one of the most rewarding things he or she has ever done. And to do that, you need some best advice for studying abroad.
Best advice for studying abroad
Studying abroad can be a fun and safe experience but it is important to realize that you are subject to the laws and customs of another country.
- Make sure you have a signed, valid passport and visas, if required. Also, before you go, fill in the emergency information page of your passport!
- Read the Consular Information Sheets (and Public Announcements or Travel Warnings, if applicable) for the countries you plan to visit.
- Leave copies of your itinerary, passport data page and visas with family or friends at home, so that you can be contacted in case of an emergency. Keep your host program informed of your whereabouts.
- Make sure you have insurance that will cover your emergency medical needs (including medical evacuation) while you are overseas.
- Familiarize yourself with local laws and customs of the countries to which you are traveling. Remember, while in a foreign country, you are subject to its laws!
- Do not leave your luggage unattended in public areas and never accept packages from strangers.
- While abroad, avoid using illicit drugs or drinking excessive amounts of alcoholic beverages, and associating with people who do.
- Do not become a target for thieves by wearing conspicuous clothing and expensive jewelry and do not carry excessive amounts of cash or unnecessary credit cards.
- Deal only with authorized agents when you exchange money to avoid violating local laws.
- When overseas, avoid demonstrations and other situations that may become unruly or where anti-American sentiments may be expressed.
All you need to know to study abroad – everything from advice on choosing a study destination, to guidance on applying for scholarships, and useful information for international students.
Enjoy your studing. Hope this help.